Tracker Type: APRS
Powered by 2 AAA batteries
msBetweenTransmits = 3000 (3s, 0m, 0h)
lhAltFtThreshold = 10000
hAlt.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 600000 (600s, 10m, 0h)
lAlt.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 45000 (45s, 0m, 0h)
lAlt.stickyMs = 10800000 (10800s, 180m, 3h)
dz.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 7200000 (7200s, 120m, 2h)
Balloon and Payload
- 36" Qualatex, unstretched
- 32.9 gram payload
- 5 grams free lift
Flight failed due to apparent damage to tracker, received audible from radio but never received a signal from aprs.fi
On my second flight balloon, I changed the transmitting antenna from 19.4” legs to 38.9” legs to get a full wave.
The tracker was tested in my house and worked well. The next step was to see if the larger antenna would reach receiving towers further away. To do this, the plan was to tether the balloon with fishing line and raise it high enough to communicate with towers, then reel it back in.
Because the balloon was tethered, wind caused it to crash a couple of times. I stopped the test.
General Thoughts / Observations
It was a mistake to only check the tracker with a radio after the crash, should have verified it was fully function with a decoding test.
Thoughts for next time
Decoding test prior to launch
Use of flight checklist