DM04 - 2018-07-08
Tracker Type: APRS
Powered by 2 AAA batteries
- id = DM04
- callsign = KD2KDD
- transmitCount = 2
- msBetweenTransmits = 3000 (3s, 0m, 0h)
- lhAltFtThreshold = 10000
- hAlt.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 900000 (900s, 15m, 0h)
- lAlt.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 45000 (45s, 0m, 0h)
- lAlt.stickyMs = 10800000 (10800s, 180m, 3h)
- dz.wakeAndEvaluateMs = 1800000 (1800s, 30m, 0h)
Balloon and Payload
- 36" Qualatex, unstretched
- 30.7 gram payload
- 3 grams free lift
Heat sealed neck.
- Float Altitude - 20,000 ft
- Duration - 58 hours, 38 min
- Cause of death - Float was steady all along, but (theory) got pushed to a higher altitude over Gulf of Mexico
General Thoughts / Observations
Great float. Proved that low free lift is key.
Dealing with water effects (really anything that pushes it higher) is problematic. If the push is weather-related, higher altitude float may avoid the effect.
May have to try two balloons to increase volume and thereby altitude.
Multiple Atlantic Ocean passes indicate not all water is a hazard. Not sure what happened with last time's Lake Erie issue and the Gulf of Mexico issue.